ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. -- A vape pen explosion may have caused the death of a man in St. Petersburg on Saturday, according to authorities.

  • Vape pen explosion may have man's death
  • 38-year-old man found dead inside house
  • Authorities are trying to determine cause of death

St. Pete Fire Rescue was called to a house in the 300 block of 19th Avenue North after reports of a fire.

When responding firefighters arrived, they found smoke coming out of the second-story window. Once inside, responders found the body of 38-year-old Tallmadge D’Elia.

According to investigators, a vape pen he was using exploded in his face.

D’Elia had multiple injuries to his face, according to authorities.

“They [vape pens] have a lithium battery and they start to generate heat,” said Lt. Steve Lawrence, a spokesperson with St. Pete Fire Rescue. “In this case, we believe that exploded.”

The explosion from the vape pen then caused a small fire to ignite in an area nearby.

It’s unclear whether D’Elia was killed by the explosion or the fire.

The Medical Examiner will conduct an autopsy to determine cause of death.

No additional details were immediately available.