The 2024 Atlantic hurricane season begins on Saturday, June 1, and NOAA just released its annual outlook. NOAA predicts above normal activity across the Atlantic basin this year.

What You Need To Know

  • NOAA predicts above normal activity this hurricane season

  • Atlantic sea surface temperatures are experiencing record warmth

  • La Niña conditions are expected during the peak of hurricane season

NOAA's outlook predicts an 85% chance of an above normal season, a 10% chance of a near normal season and a 5% chance of a below normal season. 

NOAA forecasts a likely range of 17 to 25 named storms, of which 8 to 13 could become hurricanes, including 4 to 7 major hurricanes, which are a Category 3 or higher on the Saffir-Simpson Hurricane Wind Scale.

NOAA provides these ranges with a 70% confidence.

"This is the highest number of named storms NOAA has ever issued in its May forecast," says Dr. Rick Spinrad, Ph.D., administrator, NOAA.

Remember, predictions of the season’s activity are not predictions of exactly how many storms will make landfall in a particular place. Individual storms make impacts, regardless of how active (or not) a season is. Coastal residents should do what they can to make sure they're prepared every year.

As a reminder, this season has brought some new changes and a new list of names.

You can learn more about 2024's list of names here.

Researchers look at a variety of factors to make their prediction.

Current El Niño conditions are forecast to transition to La Niña conditions later this summer or fall, leading to more favorable conditions for tropical development.

La Niña conditions typically favor more hurricane activity in the Atlantic because of weaker vertical wind shear and more instability across the main development region. 

Sea surface temperatures are also running well above normal in the Gulf of Mexico and the tropical Atlantic, including the main development region. Some areas are experiencing record warmth.

Warm ocean water helps fuel tropical systems, and combined with the effects of La Niña, it is expected to be an active Atlantic hurricane season.

Here is the latest tropical update for the next 48 hours. 

Learn More About Hurricanes

Our team of meteorologists dives deep into the science of weather and breaks down timely weather data and information. To view more weather and climate stories, check out our weather blogs section.